Oral conscious sedation involves the use of oral sedative pills, helping to reduce your fears and anxiety tremendously. No needles are needed for this method and the cost is less than IV Sedation. It's as easy as taking a pill!
Benefits of Oral Conscious Sedation:
- It's as safe and easy as taking a pill (no needles)
- Perfect for patients with low to high anxiety
- Patients will be somewhat concious but with minimal memory of visit
- It's less expensive than IV sedation
Typically, all of a patients dental work will be done in as little as one visit. Patients under sedation are not unconscious, rather they are able to respond to questions and breathe on their own. The beauty of oral conscious sedation is that it allows complete relaxation and patients have little or no memory about the procedure.
Facts About Sedation Therapy
- It WORKS! The medication allows you to go into the office comfortable and relaxed for your treatment.
- It is SAFE!
- You have little memory of the experience, and you have little memory of any sounds or smells.
- You relax for 5-6 hours after taking the pill.
- Work requiring 6-8 appointments can be done in as little as 1 VISIT!
- People who have difficulty getting numb have no problem when RELAXED and comfortable.
- It is safely used to reduce the fatigue of extended dental treatments that require long visits.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
You, the patient, are given a pill to take one hour prior to your dental appointment. Your companion will accompany you to the office. When you arrive, you will be very relaxed and a little sedated. Or if your doctor recommends IV sedation, you will be given Nitrous Oxide to help you relax, prior to the start of the IV placement. You will sink into a very comfortable chair, covered with a thick, warm, and cozy blanket. Your vital signs will be monitored carefully at all times. After you are comfortable, our experienced clinical team will take care of your dental needs. When your treatment is completed, your companion will return you home to finish relaxing.
WHO IS A CANDIDATE FOR SEDATION THERAPY?
Adults who have...
- high fear of visiting the dentist.
- had traumatic dental experiences.
- difficulty getting numb.
- a bad gag reflex.
- very sensitive teeth.
- limited time to complete their dental care.
- complex dental problems.
- hate noises, smells and tastes associated with dental care.
- are afraid & embarrassed about their teeth.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. Will I feel any sort of pain at all?
A. No, you will feel nothing. Most patients feel no discomfort whatsoever during their treatment and feel surprisingly good afterward with little or no memory of their treatment.
Q. Will I be completely unconscious?
A. No, you will not, although you are in a state of sedation. You will receive just enough medication so that you will be completely relaxed during your treatment.
Q. Will I be monitored while I am sedated?
A. Yes, with very sophisticated vital sign monitoring equipment, and one of our team members is always with you throughout the entire visit.
Q. How long will I be sedated for my treatment?
A. Depending on your individual needs, you may be sedated for any amount of time from 2-6 hours.
Q. How do I know if Sedation is right for me?
A. Before receiving treatment of any kind your medical history will be thoroughly reviewed by the Doctor. He or she will decide how well you will fit into a Sedation program. And, as mentioned before, you will be monitored very closely during your treatment.
Q. How will I travel to and from the doctor's office if I am to be sedated?
A. Although you will feel fine after your appointment, you will need to have someone to accompany you due to the sedative effects of the medication. This person should be available to bring you to and from the office. You should NOT drive after taking your prescribed medication until the time that will be outlined by your Dentist.
Back to the Services page